![]() |
exhalations |
|
Monday, August 02, 2004
Cycling Skyline Drive - Drove to Front Royal today to ride my Rans V-Rex recumbent along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. I usually park just outside the Park and ride about 2 miles to the entrance. The entry fee for bikes is $5, and a year pass is $20. It's a difficult ride, especially on a recumbent. The first six miles are a continuous climb. There's a short downhill section, then a climb for another seven or eight miles. I rode about 16 miles within the park and turned around for the mostly downhill ride back to the car. It took over 2 ½ hours for the first part, and about an hour for the return trip.
On one of the long climbs I saw this rather large rattlesnake. It was about 2-3 feet long with a girth about the size of my wrist. Even though there were flies on it and it smelled bad, I still felt like he could have turned and struck at any moment. I noticed that the weeds along the drive were getting out of control. I assume it's because of the lack of funds for needed maintenance in our national parks, thanks to our fearless leader Bush cutting taxes and spending billions in Iraq. Thanks George.
|